What is sleep talking disorder?
Sleep talking disorder refers to any type of talking that occurs while sleeping, ranging from clear, understandable statements to seemingly random words and word-like sounds. Sleep talking is a sleep disorder called somniloquy. The sleep talker is unaware that they are talking and will forget about it the next day. A sleep disorder in which people call out, speak, or produce incoherent language while sleeping. Sleep talking is one of the most common sleep disorders, and it is more common in children and adolescents than in adults.
What are the causes of sleep talking disorder?
Sleep talking disorder occurs in some people but not in others, according to specialist. Those who talk in their sleep are unlikely to have any underlying medical conditions. Sleep talking is a common form of parasomnia. Sleep talking appears to be more common in people with mental health issues. It is thought to occur most frequently among individuals suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a mental health condition caused by observing or experiencing a scary event.
Symptoms of sleep talking disorder:
The main symptom of sleep talking disorder is audible expression during sleep that occurs without the person being aware of it. It could be gibberish or normal speech. Sleep talking refers to any type of talking that occurs while sleeping. Sleep talkers could:
- As if they were having a conversation, take turns speaking.
- Pose or answer questions
- Create sentences or phrases
- Whisper or yell
- Use real words or nonsense.
- Use expletives
How common the sleep talking disorder is?
Sleep talking disorder is fairly common in children, with approximately half of all children experiencing it at some point in their lives. Both men and women are affected equally by sleep talking, though women are more likely to cry and laugh while men are more likely to use profanities. Sleep talking disorder is less common in adults, with approximately 5% to 10% experiencing it. Sleep talking episodes can last a few minutes or several years, depending on the individual.
Stages of sleep talking disorder:
Sleep talking is classified according to its phase and intensity:
The intensity with which sleep talk occurs determines its severity:
Sleep talk occurs no more than once a month. The sleep talker is not as deep asleep as in severe stage, and their speech is easier to understand. A sleep talker in mild stage can have complete conversations.
Sleep talk happens once a week, but not every night. The talking does not disrupt the sleep of the other people in the room.
Sleep talking disorder occurs every night and may disrupt the sleep of others in the room. The sleep talker is in a deeper state of sleep, and their speech is typically more difficult to understand. It could come across as moaning or gibberish.
Risk factors of sleep talking:
Sleep talking disorders, as mysterious as it can be to those who observe it, is also a mystery to sleep specialists and researchers. According to research, sleep talking runs in families. Children are more prone to sleep talking disorder than adults, but it appears to affect men and women equally. People who have erratic sleep schedules or are sleep deprived, as well as those who are under a lot of stress, may be more prone to sleep talking. When someone speaks in their sleep, some people may wonder if there is a deeper meaning to it. Apart from the fact that stress and PTSD are risk factors for sleep talking.
How do you get rid of sleep talking?
Sleep talking disorder appears at random and disappears on its own. It could, however, be a red flag. If you’re constantly talking in your sleep, you may be suffering from REM sleep behavior disorder.
- Sleep talking disorder appears to be more common in people who are considered unsafe. Maintaining a consistent schedule of waking up and going to bed at the same time each day will help you to reduce the intensity of sleep talking incidents.
- If you’re constantly dealing with anxiety and depression before going to bed, you’re more likely to have a poor quality of sleep. Most sleep disorders become more frequent and severe as a result of stress.
- Alcohol disrupts normal sleeping patterns and increases the likelihood of waking up during the night. If you have trouble sleeping, you should limit your alcohol consumption.
- Exercise is an excellent way to improve your mental health and increase your serotonin levels. It also means you’re more likely to fall asleep quickly and stay asleep all night. Exercise is one of the most effective treatments for sleep talking.
- It’s not always a bad idea to eat something small before bed, especially if you’re hungry. Look into the foods that help you fall asleep. However, eating a lot before bed will keep you up because it forces your digestive system to work when it should be sleeping. In light of this, try to avoid eating three hours or more before going to bed.
Cognitive behavior therapy helps to control sleep talking:
The person can get help from CBT and psychotherapy to figure out what attitudes, actions, and moods might be preventing them from falling asleep. Even when the body and brain are ready for sleep, these unfavorable thoughts can cause one to stay awake. The therapist offers assistance in identifying ideas and emotions related to sleep. This can be done using a variety of strategies, like setting aside some “worry time” earlier in the day to use for making plans for the following day. Once this time has passed, you may feel as though you are “allowed” to relax, which will put you at ease when it’s time to go to bed. CBT is a type of therapy that emphasizes altering thought and behavior patterns, enhancing emotional control, and bolstering coping mechanisms. By guiding people through relaxation techniques and instructions they can use to lessen their anxiety, CBT targets sleep talking disorder. Sleeping well each night and avoiding stress may help lessen instances of sleep talking. Observing patterns in one’s bedtime routine that may contribute to sleep talking disorder tendencies can be done by keeping a sleep diary.