Curd, also known as yogurt, is a popular dairy product that is consumed worldwide. It is made by fermenting milk with live bacteria cultures, which gives it a tangy taste and a creamy texture. Curd is considered to be a healthy food, and is often recommended as a part of a balanced diet. In this article, we will explore whether curd is good for weight loss.
Nutritional Value of Curd
Curd is a good source of protein, calcium, and vitamin B12. It also contains probiotics, which are live bacteria that are beneficial for gut health. A 100-gram serving of curd contains the following nutrients:
- Calories: 61
- Protein: 3.5 grams
- Fat: 3.3 grams
- Carbohydrates: 4.7 grams
- Fiber: 0 grams
- Calcium: 121 mg
- Vitamin B12: 0.5 mcg
Does Curd Help with Weight Loss?
Curd is a low-calorie food that can be included as a part of a healthy diet. It is also a good source of protein, which can help to reduce appetite and increase feelings of fullness. This can lead to a reduction in overall calorie intake and promote weight loss.
Probiotics, the live bacteria present in curd, are also believed to have a positive effect on weight loss. Studies have shown that the consumption of probiotics can improve gut health, reduce inflammation, and promote the growth of healthy gut bacteria. This can lead to a reduction in body weight and a lower risk of obesity-related diseases.
Additionally, curd can be a good alternative to high-calorie foods such as cheese or cream. It can be used as a substitute in recipes to reduce calorie intake and promote weight loss.
How to Incorporate Curd into Your Diet for Weight Loss
There are many ways to incorporate curd into your diet for weight loss. Some ideas include:
- Eat curd as a snack: A serving of curd can be eaten as a snack between meals to help reduce hunger and promote weight loss.
- Use curd as a side dish: Curd can be used as a side dish with meals to add flavor and nutrition without adding excess calories.
- Add curd to smoothies: Curd can be blended into smoothies with fruits and vegetables to create a healthy and filling meal replacement.
- Use curd as a substitute: Curd can be used as a substitute for high-calorie ingredients in recipes such as dips, dressings, and sauces.
- Eat Greek yogurt: Greek yogurt is a thicker, creamier version of regular curd that is higher in protein and lower in sugar. It can be eaten as a snack or used as a substitute in recipes.
Are you still uncertain about curd for weight loss? These frequently asked questions about consuming curd may help you understand.
- Is curd good for weight loss at night?
Ayurveda advises against eating curd after sundown since it can disrupt the body’s chemistry during the night and cause colds, coughs, and bloating. It is best to avoid curd at night whether you are trying to lose weight or not.
- When to eat curd for weight loss?
When ingested with honey or a natural sweetener like jaggery before breakfast, curd performs at its best. 2-3 times a week, one cup of homemade curd helps to keep the gut healthy and may promote weight loss.
- Curd or yogurt: Which is better for weight loss?
The primary difference between curd and yogurt is that curd naturally contains many different strains of bacteria. Curd is made without adding sugar or preservative, and contains a hazy texture. Yogurt, on the other hand, seems smooth and plain with just one strain of bacteria plus additional sugar, flavors, and preservatives. In light of the fact that yogurt often has additional sugars, which can occasionally result in weight gain, I would naturally recommend a homemade curd instead of yogurt for those looking to lose weight.
- Does curd cause belly fat?
Curd does not make a person gain weight unless they consume 5–6 cups a day or more. 2-3 cups per day are the suggested intake for weight loss; anything more could lead to weight gain.
- Does curd cause acne and pimples?
Curd is an excellent moisturizer, helps in removing acne and prevents sunburn as it is an excellent source of vitamin E, zinc and phosphorous which firms up your skin, reduces acne and any signs of ageing.
Ways to eat curd right for weight loss
- Never add salt or sugar to curd; instead, use jaggery, rock salt or black salt, in place of those ingredients.
- Never consume curd at night; buttermilk may be a preferable choice.
- Avoid using curd with incorrect combinations: For instance, mixing curd and milk is a common error, particularly when creating smoothies. When eating curd, you should also stay away from fish, milk, oily meals, and mangoes (foods that are considered high in heat).
NOTE: If the wrong combinations are used, you may have skin issues or breakouts like acne, etc. They are also quite challenging to the stomach.
- For the best use of fresh curd, always eat it without refrigeration. Adding mint to a bowl of curd makes it easy for digestion and reduces bloating.
- Avoid heating curd because doing so destroys the bacteria that are already present and alters its overall potency, making it more difficult to digest.
- It is best to refrain from consuming curd during the rainy season. The best times to eat curd are in the winter and summer.
Curd’s advantageous qualities and curd for weight loss
- Rich in calcium: A bowl of curd strengthens bones, raises body temperature, improves metabolism, and also aids in fat burning. Helps in maintaining the strength of your teeth, prevents dental caries and gum disease.
- Phosphorous: According to studies, eating enough phosphorous through food causes obesity to reduce and aids in weight management by reducing abdominal obesity.
- Magnesium: Plays a crucial role in how well insulin works, particularly in obese and overweight people, where it efficiently turns glucose stored in the body into energy. You no longer need to be concerned about your belly fat if you have your magnesium levels under control.
- Potassium: helps you get a flat stomach by removing water and sodium from your body. aids in maintaining your lean muscle mass after dieting.
- A Good source of protein: Curd is a good source of protein for vegetarians. A high protein diet helps one achieve their weight loss goals, provided they stay hydrated throughout the weight loss regimen. A high protein diet helps you build lean muscle mass which also helps in burning more calories and can help you in weight loss.
- A rich probiotic source: Curd is a rich source of probiotics because it balances the gut microbiota, which alters how your body processes food and increases metabolic rate, which aids in weight reduction. Although there have been no studies that directly link probiotics to weight loss.
- Improves gut related issues: Curd aids in digestion, because it’s easier to digest than milk. Helps in relieving constipation and diarrhea. All thanks to the good bacteria present in curd
In conclusion, curd can be a healthy food choice for weight loss when consumed in moderation as part of a balanced diet and lifestyle. It is low in calories, high in protein, and a natural source of probiotics and calcium. Including curd in your diet can help to reduce appetite, increase feelings of fullness, and promote gut health, all of which can aid in weight loss. However, it is important to choose plain, unsweetened curd and consume it in moderation to avoid excess sugar intake. As with any dietary change, it is recommend to consult with a healthcare professional before making significant changes to your diet.
Black Coffee for Weight Loss: Important Facts
The Skinny on fatty liver disease
Reverse Fatty Liver With Exercise And Diet
6 High Protein Meat Substitutes